Wednesday 2 December 2009

Who's Who?

We thought that we should showcase the undoubted star of the Women's EM this year. Elisabeth Ygge was in the view of many observers the player of the tournament. Not available to play against Wales last weekend, she would have been sorely missed. In our view, this young lady could eventually become the best female player Sweden has ever seen.





How did you become involved with Rugby?
I got dragged to a training by some friends in "gymnasiet", and after that one training I was stuck..
When did you first start playing?
I started in the school team when I was 15, and in Exiles when I was 17 years old.
What positions have you played?
Love nr 8, but people put me on flanker, centre and other weird positions..?
What Club/s have you played for?
Stockholm Exiles RFC and Richmond RFC.
How many international caps have you been awarded?
A few.. Started in the national team 2007.
What has been you best playing experience?
I have had a few amazing experiences. Playing Dubai 7´s for Exiles was fantastic, starting for the Richmonds first team against the Saracens was quite a nice feeling and the games in the European Championship in may earlier this year were most probably the highlight of my rugby career, so far.
Worst playing experience?
When I broke my nose in the first few minutes against Scotland in the preparation for the European Championship earlier this year. A teammate trying to take my spot? Nobody wants to confess;)
What are your ambitions within the game?
I want to be a role model for younger girls. I want to get better and better and fitter and fitter for every year, I want to improve in all aspects of the game. And my goal at the moment is to be a regular starter for Sweden in the World Cup, I want to get as much playing time as possible. I want to show the other teams, and the whole world, that Swedish ladies can play bloody good rugby.
What encourages you about the game in Sweden?
All the fighters and all the people that gives everything for this fantastic game of rugby, both on and off the field.
How do you see the future?
I see myself playing many, many years. I want to play as long as I think it's fun and my body copes with it, and if I know myself, that will be a looong time..
What is your profession?
Studying Biomedicin at Karolinska Institutet at the moment and working part time as a personal assistant for a mentally and physically disabled girl.
Marital status?
Sambo with a South african.
Have you any children?
No.
 
Our thanks to Elisabeth and we wish her well for the future.


1 comment:

  1. Hejja dig Ygge!
    Väl värd vartenda ord, för du är en Stjärna!
    .. det är inte många som lyckas ha legend-status i så unga år. Hehe.. Minns när jag började å "alla" pratade om denna fantastiska Ygge.. jag visste inte vem du var då, men antog att de måste ju vara en riktigt gammal goding, minst sagt.. något/några år senare träffade jag dig å insåg att du var ett år yngre än mig.. men jag förstår dem å stämmer numer in i Ygges fanclub!

    ReplyDelete